Sunday, March 2, 2008

REPENT!!

So, I am trying to take up meditation, which is harder than one might think.

Wikipedia says.. Meditation is a discipline in which the mind is focused on an object of thought or awareness. It usually involves turning attention to a single point of reference. The practice may engender a higher state of consciousness. Meditation is recognized as a component of almost all religions, and has been practice for over 5,000 years.

The word meditation comes from the Latin meditatio, which originally indicted every type of physical or intellectual exercise, then later evolved into the more specific meaning “contemplation.”

I don’t think it is something that is done in mindless repetition of sayings or sounds, but more the contemplation of an idea or thought.

In the Book of Isaiah it says, …My thoughts are not your thoughts, Neither are your ways My ways,” declares the LORD. “For as the heavens are higher than the earth, So are My ways higher than your ways, And My thoughts than your thoughts.

I read recently that the secret of effective meditation is quoting Scripture back to God with the spirit rather than the mind. This means that rather than trying to intellectually understand God’s truth, we discern it by His Spirit speaking to our spirit. In the Book of First Corinthians it says that “the things of the Spirit of God … are spiritually discerned”

That is my point. Not that I can attain the understanding of God’s thoughts… I mean I know that if I meditate on God, or Scriptures with my mind I would undoubtedly become proud and “puffed up”. BUT if I meditate on God or Scripture with my spirit and in my heart, then God or Scripture evaluates me and my heart. In that way I am humbled.

So, I am trying to meditate on a verse a week. The verse I have been mediating on this week is out of Matthew 4 where Jesus begins his ministry with “Repent, for the Kingdom of Heaven is near.”

Repent.

for the Kingdom of Heaven.

The Kingdom of Heaven is near.

Repent.

4 comments:

D3 said...

wow.

Patti said...

ditto....

Joy said...

This is good stuff . . .

Kerri said...

I can barely focus long enough to utter a sentance.

This is why meditating could be good for me...