Monday, March 3, 2008

Meditations on Matthew 4 and Hebrews 12 (Follow the Links - It's FUN!!)

Repent, for the Kingdom of God is at hand.

I think in meditating on Scripture I think it is important to pray it, say it aloud and think about it.


Anyway, in Hebrews 12 it says That we should see to it that no one becomes an immoral or godless person like Esau, who sold his own birthright for a single meal. For you know that later when he wanted to inherit the blessing, he was rejected, for he found no opportunity for repentance, although he sought the blessing with tears.

I think in some way this has always bothered me because he sought repentance with tears and yet he couldn't find it and was rejected.

Then you have someone like David who commits adultery and murders a guy, which most people would consider a little worse on the human sin scale, and he can find repentance and even favor with God.

My meditation on repenting this brought me to thoughts on humility. It seems to me that Esau couldn't find repentance because he wasn't humble and sought restoration for the wrong reasons. He wanted what was coming to him even though it meant so little to him before. He tears were more for himself than for denouncing his heritage and the name of his father.

David on the other hand humbled himself before his heavenly father. Even though he had done despicable things to other people David says to God said in Psalm 51 Against you and you alone have I sinned. Later David goes so far as to ask God for words to say to make things right. You see very little of David's pride here and a lot of his humility.

Proverbs 24 says that by humility and the fear of the Lord are riches, and honor, and life.

As long as my feet walk this earth, as long as God continues to see fit to give me the gift of one more day, I choose humility and life or arrogance and death.

Repent, for the Kingdom of God is at hand.

2 comments:

D3 said...

joe,
i no longer feel guilty about not going to church. thank you. i decided to read your blog instead. it's just as good, and probably better! keep it up! i'm diggin' it.

Joy said...

So good, Joe. By the way, I did, and it was fun!